First NFS entry in fstab not mounting at boot

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 17 09:19:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 02:08 -0400, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> In this case you might even want to add _netdev.
>
> _netdev
>         The filesystem resides on a device that requires network access
>         (used to prevent the system from attempting to mount these
>         filesystems until the network has been enabled on the system).

Hmm, sounds kind of obvious, when you look at it.  NFS... the N stands
for network.  You'd expect that option would be a good candidate for a
default option.  Surely you wouldn't be trying to use NFS without going
through a network device of some sort.

Though, what's it do when the network is down?  Wait, bring it up, or
abort?

One reason I went for auto-mounting, instead of using fstab, long ago,
was all the pain involved in trying to boot one computer up when the
network wasn't coming up.  It'd jam at the point fstab was parsed.  It
wouldn't skip past, there wasn't any way to go past and try again in a
while.

I had to boot up in single mode and edit things before the computer
would boot.  Else spend absolutely ages waiting for it to time out.  All
the more worse by there being several NFS entries in fstab, each one
going through in turn.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686