SSH tunnel for ssh traffic

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 17 14:38:55 UTC 2010

Christoph Höger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to ssh to some remote VM that sit in a private LAN. For any other
> service (e.g. RDP) I'd use ssh tunneling just normal.
> But what do I do for ssh traffic? Since ssh is not host agnostic, it
> will always complain about localhost having a different RSA key.
> I just do not want to edit the known_hosts every time I need to connecto
> to a new machine!

I just remembered having a similar problem and how I solved it. I added a fixed
IP for the machine at the end of the tunnel in /etc/hosts, and the fixed IP was
127.0.0.X, which seemed to allow a unique entry in known_hosts on the
originating machine. Since all of 127/8 is used for loopback, I decided to use
another address for the made up machine name.

You still have to edit /etc/hosts for each new machine, but once and only once
per machine.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>