how to 'rip apart' a rpm.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at
Mon May 17 21:12:30 UTC 2010

On Monday 17 May 2010, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> rpm -qpl src.rpm
>>> should show you a list of the files in the RPM.  When you "install" it,
>>> they get installed in your rpmbuild sandbox under:  SPECS and SOURCES
>>> subdirectories.
>>> You really shouldn't be playing with source RPMs as root.  Look in your
>>> user RPM sandbox:
>> Then I'd suggest that doing so as a user be made possible.  I think its
>> asinine that I am prevented from building my kernels as a user, simply
>> because mkinird cannot be made to run if you are not root.
>You don't need mkinitrd to build a kernel, you need it to *install* a
> kernel, two different operations. After you do the make you can make
> modules_install and install with the -n option (if you wish) to inspect
> what they will do, or just "su -c "make modules_install modules"
>after the build is done.

Clarify here: I can do all that as the user.  What I can't do, until somebody
decides to fix mkinitrd, is to run it as the user.  That is my specific
bitch.  And I think its perfectly valid.  mkinitrd simply will not run for
anybody but root.

>You didn't ask: I run my build in a script command, so I have the details
> of any error messages.

So do I, rigged so any error stops it right there, rather than having the
error scroll off screen while I'm tending to an empty coffee cup.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If God had intended Man to Walk, He would have given him Feet.