how to 'rip apart' a rpm.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue May 18 01:40:31 UTC 2010

On 05/18/2010 09:09 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:
>
>> On 05/17/2010 02:12 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>>> Clarify here: I can do all that as the user. What I can't do, until somebody
>>> decides to fix mkinitrd, is to run it as the user. That is my specific
>>> bitch. And I think its perfectly valid. mkinitrd simply will not run for
>>> anybody but root.
>>>
>> And this is a bad thing? I, for one, don't want some low-level user
>> installing a kernel on my machines. I don't want them installing
>> ANYTHING that's global.
>>
> +1

I get the feeling that Gene isn't talking about the actual installation
of the initrd image.  I think he is wondering why something like...

mkinitrd /tmp/xxx 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i686.PAE

needs root privileges to run.   Is there anything inherently wrong is
expecting that to work?

--
A fool and his money are soon partying. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段