how to 'rip apart' a rpm.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue May 18 02:54:34 UTC 2010

On 05/18/2010 10:42 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 17 May 2010, Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>> I get the feeling that Gene isn't talking about the actual installation
>> of the initrd image.
>>
> Feeling Ed?  I have written this very plainly, several times.  But W/O
> exceptions here, everyone is assuming that I am installing a kernel from
> fedora, which is as yet useless on this machine.  I have an rv610 based ATI
> video card, and it has been doing an extremely obnoxious fits of self
> blanking anytime something touches the right edge of the screen since I built
> this box about 2 years ago now.  ONLY the 2.6.34(-rcN), and now 2.6.34 final
> have the drm fixes that stop that.  The CCFL's in this monitor have somehow
> survived all the flashing, but the power supply that drives them has had to
> be rebuilt, the caps went south.

Yes <sarcasm>*feeling*<\sarcasm>.   I didn't want to be obnoxious, this
time, and write something like..."Didn't you morons read what Gene has
written".  :-)

Which is why I said..."something *like*".  :-)

>> needs root privileges to run.   Is there anything inherently wrong is
>> expecting that to work?
>>

> Exactly Ed.  My question precisely.

I think your answer is covered by the emergence of dracut.

--
I say, if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to
seriously re-examine your life. -- Calvin 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段