how to 'rip apart' a rpm.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 18 03:08:22 UTC 2010

Rick Stevens:
>> And this is a bad thing?  I, for one, don't want some low-level user
>> installing a kernel on my machines.  I don't want them installing
>> ANYTHING that's global.

Gene Heskett:
> Repeat after me Rick:  "I am the only user of this machine".  And that
> will likely continue until such time as I fall over for the last time.

And you are allowed to become root to do such things...  You are still
thinking in the run as root mentality.  Whether you directly run as
root, or make it so that an ordinary user can do root-like things,
you're still trying to do the same thing.  You're butting your head
against the same brick wall.

The precautions are there for the right reasons, ordinary users
shouldn't be able to do root things.  If the model is broken to suit
users trying to do things in a cockeyed manner, it causes no end of
problems for everyone else.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686