Rendering chart from bootchart

Mike Park emparq at gmail.com
Fri May 21 17:47:38 UTC 2010

> And the java application supplied with bootchart generates
> the following error.
>
>> $ java -jar /usr/share/java/bootchart.jar
>> org/apache/commons/cli/ParseException
>> org.apache.commons.cli.ParseException
>>        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
>>        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>>        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
>>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:319)
>>        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
>>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:264)
>>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:332)
>> Could not find the main class: org.bootchart.Main. Program will exit.
>
> What seems to be wrong?

Yeah, actually, you want to just run the provided /usr/bin/bootchart
script since that sets up the config properly:

[emparq at bart:~]$ bootchart
Parsing /var/log/bootchart.tgz
Wrote image: ./bootchart.png

...trying to launch it from just the .jar itself results in that error
you mentioned. I haven't explored any other way to generate my
bootchart, but running the script definitely works for me.

--Mike