Need an eth0:1 temporarily, howto?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Sun May 23 18:23:25 UTC 2010

On Sunday 23 May 2010, Genes MailLists wrote:

>>> Routing, by default, for IP's on same subnet  uses the network on that
>>> subnet. So no need to change or add any route.
>>
>> Well, at some point I have to move cables and then convince this cable
>> modem its a valid client, probably by cloning the right MAC address.  My
>> web page is not accessible using the current lashup with a BEFSR41
>> router.  Partly because it doesn't have any DynDNS facilities in it.
>> dd-wrt does.
>
>  FYI - depending on  your cable connection speed the BEFSR41 may not be
>able to keep up.
>
>   I've seen a BEFSX41 (it is quite a bit faster than the BEFSR) reduce
>the download speed by a good 5 Mb/s or more on a 30 x 5 Mb/s cable
>connection.

This is a single 3MB/s system.  And I think it is slowing me down.  I haven't
noted a download getting to 360kb/s yet, most wander around at about 150-200.

>    Meanwhile a linux firewall with over 40,000 rules caused zero
>degradation - on a 3.2 Ghz Pentium D box with 2 GB of memory.

Which is nowhere near the spec for the box I'm running dd-wrt on, its a
450Mhz K6-III, half a gig of ram.  That spec above ought to blow smoke
against any system.

Is that going to be able to keep up?  If not, my test machine, "goat" (cuz
its sacrificial), can be pressed into service I suppose, its a 1Ghz athlon,
but only 384 megs of non-banked memory so its no speed demon either.  Some
sort of a bastard HP Mobo that I can't find memory for or I'd fix that.
Maybe I should just go get one of the newer mini boxes when they go on sale?

>    As speeds are getting half decent, some of the older (and newer)
>cable routers may not be able to keep up.
>
>   Not sure whose system you're on ...

Shentel.  Only other choice in these here parts.

>   that is MAC locking - most dont
>do that anymore I thought. They do lock to the MAC of the cable modem to
>identify you're a customer.

That should be all they need.  What I do on my side of the cat5 jack
shouldn't mean squat.  This thing is an ARRIS modem.

>gene

And this modem locks to me, so it seems to be stuck to my lappy's MAC, which
I had to clone into the linksys.  And when I called, they didn't seem to be
able to cancel the lease.  I'd have to wait for it to time out, which may be
a friggin week.

Thanks Gene.

--
Cheers, Gene