OT: Cell phone connection to server

aragonx at dcsnow.com aragonx at dcsnow.com
Mon May 24 22:21:11 UTC 2010

> aragonx at dcsnow.com writes:
>> It has been suggested to me that we should setup a cell phone in a way
>> that would allow us remote access to our Linux boxes in case of an
>> emergency where the server was down (using a remote service board
>> (ILO)).
>
> There are smartphone clients for ssh.  I've got one on my Android phone
> that lets me log into my Fedora box remotely.  see:
> http://code.google.com/p/connectbot/
>
> I only allow ssh RSA logins for security, so in my case I needed to make
> a fresh RSA key and copy it to the phone's flash filesystem.  If you
> allow un*x passwords, just installing the ssh client itself is
> sufficient.

This might be just what I am looking for.  However, how do I connect to
the phone?  The phone is able to connect to the host fine it seems.

Actually, my whole thinking on this was a little off.  If the host goes
down, I won't be able to use the modem to connect to the ILO/RSB.

The reason we are considering this is because the servers are going to be
at remote client sites where we have no control over the network and
placing a DSL or other hard lines are not desirable.

---
Will Y.

believed to be clean.