Adjust remaining battery power warning threshold

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue May 25 00:42:31 UTC 2010

Matthew Saltzman writes:

> Not always.  If you allow the battery to drain just a percent or two and
> plug it back in, it won't charge.  If you drain it a bit more, it will.
> The Thinkpad battery manager from Lenovo takes that a step further,

I think this battery manager thingy is some custom job for their hardware
only. It's my understanding that charging and power management-related stuff
is handled by the BIOS, and the stock power management interface to the
running operating system is mostly an interface that reports the battery
level and the charging status.

I don't think that, per se, a generic operating system has any control over
whether the battery is charging or not. The Thinkpad battery management
thingy is probably using some Thinkpad-specific access.

> The Lenovo folks apparently think that many very short charging cycles
> (such as if you usually run plugged in, but suspend to transport the
> machine rather than shutting down) or keeping the battery fully charged
> for long periods of time without draining it shortens overall battery
> life.  Who am I to disagree?

I tend to agree. I think that my current battery is over a year old, and
it's still at 85% of its original capacity. I've been running it on long
discharge/charge cycles.