Can't establish connection -

kalinix calin.kalinix.cosma at
Tue May 25 10:45:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 05:17 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I have two f12 computers, box9 will ping box6 but box6 to box9
>     reports 100% loss. When we had Firestarter there was a log that
>     usually indicated where the firewall was blocking data.
>     It seems to me there should be a way to determine this without
>     Firestarter? How do I do that?
>     [bobg at box6 ~]$ service sshd status
>     openssh-daemon (pid  1522) is running...
>     Pinging the numerical addresses does not help.
>     Thanks.
>     Bob
>     --

If this applies for ssh only, you could do something like this, on box9:

IPTABLES -I INPUT -i eth0 -s -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j

If you need more services to be available for box9, you simply let out
-m tcp and --dport 22, to get this:

To see all the packages from box6, you can insert the rule below:

IPTABLES -I INPUT -i eth0 -s -m state --state NEW -j LOG
--log-prefix "IPTABLES - NEW PACKETS FROM BOX6: " --log-level 6

and watch the result in /var/log/messages (with tail
-f /var/log/messages)

Key fingerprint = 37B8 0DA5 9B2A 8554 FB2B 4145 5DC1 15DD A3EF E857

Simon: "Some of these words -- they're misspelled. She started
correcting my spelling when she was three." --Episode #5, "Safe"