Importing an mbox into Imap

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 25 17:41:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 10:46 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I took the liberty of asking our mail admin about this, since I know
> we've done it in the past. This is his answer:
>
>         I wrote a very Cyrus-specific Perl script (which runs on
>         the mailstore server) that parsed an mbox file, split it into
>         individual messages, and handed them to Cyrus for storage.  And
>         yes, it takes many hours (on a fast machine with fast disks) and
>         some babysitting.
>
>         If he's not using Cyrus, or doesn't have access to the server,
>         tough luck... :-/
>
> I'm sure he wouldn't mind sharing the script if you're interested, but
> it is specific to Cyrus.

I'm using Dovecot.  Though, I'm wondering if it will be any advantage
because of the difference in server, and:

Is there an advantage in externally splitting an mbox spool and playing
with files, compared to importing mail from one folder to another, and
the mail server storing that mail in maildir, itself.

I suspect there's a good chance of creating maildir files that don't fit
in with the way the mailserver wants to have its maildir files (file
paths, etc.).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686