Regarding Get Fedora page

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 26 18:56:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 14:31 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 13:47:10 -0400
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>
> > Would have been nice to hear your feedback last october:
> >
> > http://mairin.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/more-get-fpo-redesign-mockups/
>
> I certainly never remember seeing any pointer to that, and
> even if I had, I doubt I would have looked at it since I
> wouldn't have imagined that anyone would remove all the
> information about torrents, jigdo, mirror lists, etc.
> from the "here's all the ways to get fedora" page.

There were multiple blog posts on the redesign posted to Planet Fedora
[1] (and syndicated to many other Linux & open source-related blog
planets) over a period of several months, as well as mentioned on Fedora
Weekly News [2], discussed on the Fedora websites mailing list,
logistics mailing list, and design mailing list. If you are not familiar
with Planet Fedora and/or Fedora Weekly News, they are an excellent way
to keep up with the design and development of Fedora.

The links you referenced were removed quite explicitly in the design.
The assumption was that if someone understands how to use bittorrent,
jigdo, and mirror lists, they are more than capable of making use of a
search engine to find them. Unsurprisingly, the first links for each
'fedora torrent', 'fedora mirrors', and 'fedora jigdo' on Google direct
you to the correct location. However, for those users who don't
understand what those things are and don't need them, the new design is
a vast improvement in preventing them from having to navigate around a
cluttered grid of links full of complicated jargon in order to get
Fedora. A search engine would not be of any use in solving their
problem.

I appreciate your effort in trying to participate, but I hope you can
see how your feedback would easily be interpreted as non-constructive
and inflammatory. Especially when I gave you an example link to where
the design was posted last fall, and you reply that you wouldn't have
bothered to look at it. It makes it seem as if you are not really
interested in helping, only complaining.

~m

[1] http://planet.fedoraproject.org
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN