Regarding Get Fedora page

Andre Costa blueser at gmail.com
Wed May 26 22:58:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 17:42, Alan Evans <ame.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/5/26 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> >>
> >> I hope that this thread is a demonstration that folks who *could* use
> >> a search engine may have been well-served by a page design that didn't
> >> deliberately exclude them.
> >
> > How about the silent group of folks who looked at the old Fedora get
> > page, had no clue what half of the jargon on the page went, and then
> > browsed away to look at another distro or worse just stuck with Windows
> > or OS X?
>
> You seem to think that the only alternative to completely excluding
> the more technical options is to scatter incomprehensible jargon all
> over the page. I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion.
>
> How about something like this at the bottom of the page?:
>
> "Users looking for the Torrent downloads should go [link]here[/link].
> If you don't know what a Torrent is then it's not what you want."
>
> That would have at least kept me (and probably many others) from
> scanning the page over and over again for ten minutes looking for what
> I just knew must be there.
>
> -Alan
> --

First of all: I do appreciate all the effort in making the download page
easier to newbies, and I recognize a lot of thought has been spent in doing
so. However, it doesn't mean the result can't be improved, even if the
improvements will only be perceived by a portion of the audience.

I agree with Alan that it wouldn't hurt to have this extra link at the
bottom of the page, I don't think this would distract newbies considering
they should be attracted to the big blue "Download Now!" button in the
middle of the screen =) I must say I also spent a couple of minutes going
back and forth trying to find a link to the torrents (... sure, I could have
Googled right away -- which I ended up doing after visiting the "Formats"
page for the 3rd time ;-))

Just my $0.02.

Regards,

Andre