Regarding Get Fedora page

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu May 27 05:17:35 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 26 May 2010 08:05 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 14:57 -0700, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> On Wednesday 26 May 2010 01:57 PM, � Duffy wrote:
>>> Where would someone get to the mirrors then? Oh just add one more link
>>> right? Okay. How about boot.fedoraproject.org or downloading a boot iso?
>>> Oh, just one or two more links. Okay. How about adding a link to KDE on
>>> the front page? Ooh, that's one more link. Okay. Oh, and someone else
>>> was complaining on a forum that I was reading yesterday that we don't
>>> have a link to download the LiveUSB creator. So we'll have to add a link
>>> for that, and a link for the instructions on how to use LiveUSB creator.
>>> Oh, but there's two versions of liveusb creator, one for Windows, one
>>> for *nix, okay then, I guess two links for that....
>>>
>>> [ I could do this all day. ]
>>
>> I understand your concern and see the merit in keeping the default
>> get-fedora page simple, but I fail to see how that implies no page
>> linking to either of these pages. (or maybe I didn't look long enough)
>>
>> http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
>> http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/spins/
>>
>> The only way to get there is to use a search engine. Do you think that
>> is reasonable?
>
> You completely missed my point. Read it again. Or I can repeat it:
>
> "Just one more link" makes sense when there is "just one more link" that
> YOU want. How about everyone else's "just one more link"?

I think you misunderstood my statement. I understand your concern about
adding one more link, because that can very easily escalate into many
more "one more links". My objection was the resources to some of the
unconventional download methods were orphaned, as in _no_ fedora pages
were pointing to these entirely functional choices. An acceptable
solution to me would be a tiny link in some corner pointing to a page
with all the unconventional options.

I saw the patch you submitted and I feel that is a much better solution
to what the web page looks like at the moment. With that patch I am a
happy fedora member again. :) Thanks for acting on this promptly.

--
Suvayu