fedora 13 "Invalid or unsupported executable format"

oleksandr korneta atenrok at gmail.com
Fri May 28 03:35:54 UTC 2010

on 05/27/2010 03:16 PM Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 14:37:29 -0400
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
>>> title Fedora 13 install
>>>           root (hd0,5)
>>>           kernel /boot/F13vmlinuz ro
>>
>> This is a rather "bare" kernel line.  Compare it to the kernel line from
>> F12 above.  You probably need to specify at *least* the root= part as
>> well for the kernel to find the correct root partition to use when you
>> boot.  It even shows you this in the example in the comment above that.
>
> I don't think so, I do hard disk installs from the DVD image all the
> time, and that's basically the same thing I do and it works fine.
> I usually put the vmlinuz and initrd.img files in a f13/ subdir
> rather than renaming them with an f13 prefix, but I don't know why
> that would matter. The only kernel option I generally provide
> is something like:
>
>     repo=hd:LABEL=CALIBAN:/install-iso/fedora/x86_64/Fedora-13-x86_64-DVD
>
> so I don't have to tell anaconda manually where the hard disk image
> is located.
>
> That error sounds more like the vmlinuz image is corrupted. You
> could try running "file" to ask what it is (I think it should be
> an ELF executable?)

good point Tom. Thanks to you I discovered that both vmlinuz and
initrd.img are of 0 bites. Somehow I managed to copy them that way.
Will try to reboot now.

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

I'm running F12 x86_64, should this matter.

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./