Seagate USB disk does not automount

Shantanu Joshi weemadarthur at gmail.com
Fri May 28 07:52:07 UTC 2010

Paolo Galtieri <pgaltieri at gmail.com> writes:

> On 05/27/2010 09:48 AM, Tom Diehl wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a new seagate external USB disk that does not mount when plugged in
>> to my F-12 machine. I can mount it by hand and access it normally.
>>
>> Does anyone have instructions for adding udev rules or whatever it takes
>> to get this to automount when plugged in?
>>
>> dmesg shows the following:
>> <<trimmed>>
>> Should I file this in bugzilla?
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> What does /var/log/messages say?
>
> I find that the whole automount process under F12 to be very hit and
> miss.  I have external Seagate drives and I have noticed that sometimes
> they get automounted and other times they don't.  Sometimes they don't
> get automounted after a reboot of the system, but then do get
> automounted when I login via the graphical interface, and sometimes I
> have to manually mount them after I login.  Since the behavior is so
> inconsistent I've never filed a bug against it.  Most of the time though
> it does work.
>
> Paolo

FWIF, I have noticed the same behaviour with Seagate external drives on
Windows as well. 90% of the time there is no problem, but sometimes the
drive just will not mount, and I have to reboot Windows (sometimes
multiple times) to get it to even detect the drive. So it might possibly
be an issue with Seagate drives (never tried any other brand).

Shantanu