Correct instructions for installing NVidia proprietary driver on Fedora 13?

Andre Costa blueser at gmail.com
Fri May 28 20:33:01 UTC 2010

Hi Steven,

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 16:59, Steven P. Ulrick
<lists-fedora at afolkey2.net>wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> If the output of "/sbin/lspci | grep VGA" is:
> 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G94 [GeForce 9600 GT]
> (rev
> a1)
>
> are the correct instructions for installing the proprietary NVidia driver
> still
> located here:
> http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/nvidia-yum-kmod
>
> I have tried the above referenced instructions a couple of times, with the
> same,
> bad results...  I am now going to try again, paying special attention to
> the
> "Troubleshooting" section...  With this exact system, I have been so used
> everything working (up until I installed Fedora 13) that I have never even
> had
> to look at the troubleshooting  steps for these instructions before.
>
> I will get back to you with whatever happens.

I have a 9800 GT, and all I had to do for F13 was enable rpmfusion repo and
install kmod-nvidia; after that Nvidia driver was already used on the next
boot, but it didn't recognize my dual-head setup (which was expected). I
tried using nvidia-settings (as root) to configure dual-head, but I had some
trouble setting it exactly the way I wanted; then I just replaced
/etc/X11/xorg.conf with the one from my F12 /etc backup and that was it.
Much easier than with F12 =)

HTH

Andre