Correct instructions for installing NVidia proprietary driver on Fedora 13?

Andre Costa blueser at gmail.com
Sat May 29 13:52:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 06:25, Steven P. Ulrick
<lists-fedora at afolkey2.net>wrote:

> > Hi Steven,
> >
> > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 16:59, Steven P. Ulrick
> > <lists-fedora at afolkey2.net>wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Everyone,
> > > If the output of "/sbin/lspci | grep VGA" is:
> > > 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G94 [GeForce 9600
> GT]
> > > (rev
> > > a1)
> > >
> > > are the correct instructions for installing the proprietary NVidia
> driver
> > > still
> > > located here:
> > > http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/nvidia-yum-kmod
> > >
> > > I have tried the above referenced instructions a couple of times, with
> the
> > > same,
> > > bad results...  I am now going to try again, paying special attention
> > > the
> > > "Troubleshooting" section...  With this exact system, I have been so
> used
> > > everything working (up until I installed Fedora 13) that I have never
> even
> > > had
> > > to look at the troubleshooting  steps for these instructions before.
> > >
> > > I will get back to you with whatever happens.
> > >

> > I have a 9800 GT, and all I had to do for F13 was enable rpmfusion repo
> and
> > install kmod-nvidia; after that Nvidia driver was already used on the
> next
> > boot, but it didn't recognize my dual-head setup (which was expected). I
> > tried using nvidia-settings (as root) to configure dual-head, but I had
> some
> > trouble setting it exactly the way I wanted; then I just replaced
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf with the one from my F12 /etc backup and that was it.
> Well, I have one of those :)  I think I will try all of this over AGAIN :)

Good luck =)

> > Much easier than with F12 =)
> You had a hard time getting this to work with F12?  For me, on this same
> system,
> it "Just Worked."

My problem was the boot setup, because if I recall correctly the nouveau
driver was being used and nvidia could not load correctly, making the system
unstable. After some Googling I found out I had to blacklist the nouveau
driver. After I solved that, I had no more problems whatsoever.