F13 install on lappy, comments

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun May 30 11:57:17 UTC 2010

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Imagine my surprise when I found the capability of setting local addresses
> etc right in NM for a change, and it worked!  I didn't have to go hacking
> about to make the new install work with my local network gateways etc.

Not important, but I didn't understand this posting.
I haven't noticed any great change in NM in Fedora-13.
But how exactly do you "set local addresses" in NM?
I assume NM looks in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-?
Is that wrong?

I notice now that if I right-click on what I take to be the NM icon
in my panel, and choose Manage Connections,
I get a window with title "Configure - KDE Control Module",
which has no connections entered under Wired or Wireless.
As I recall, all the past and present connections used to be listed?

I assume this window is the responsibility of knetworkmanager?
I have never understood the point of this program,
which seems to add nothing to NM?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net