preupgrade: not enough space again

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun May 30 16:07:01 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 13:16 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Alan Evans wrote:
>
> > Preupgrade is complaining that I don't have enough space in
> > /boot/upgrade. How much space is needed? Preupgrade is not telling me.
> > It *did* tell me that I could continue if I had a wired network
> > connection. I do have, so I continued; and then after finally
> > downloading all the packages (much time) and rebooting it apparently
> > couldn't find the driver for my network card. Bother.
>
> Am I alone in thinking that preupgrade was a nice idea
> which has never worked perfectly, and which should be quietly dropped?

I wouldn't agree with that. The few times I've used it it has worked
perfectly. The only real issue I'm aware of is the /boot size problem.

I don't tend to use it that much because I want to have the full distro
on DVD, so it doesn't make sense to download a lot of stuff twice. Of
course preupgrade will (presumably) get you the latest version of each
package, reducing the amount of updates immediately after installation -
I had to download 1.3GB after upgrading via the DVD, so maybe it's
swings and roundabouts.

It would be nice to get the DVD and then run preupgrade with the DVD
loaded, i.e. use it as a repo. I don't know how feasible that is.

poc