Record "Stereo Mix" (what you hear) from PulseAudio

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Sun May 30 21:48:10 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

I'm on Fedora 12 and I'm using an internal soundcard (HDA-Intel) which doesn't
provide, as an input source, the so called "Stereo Mix" (the audio that comes
out of your speakers).  I simply would like to record from it for applications
like Audacity and recordmydesktop.

Apparently, one might achieve this by using PulseAudio (by grabbing the
audio stream from the originating apps before they reach your output device,
etc).  I installed the "PulseAudio Volume Control" app but it isn't that much
different from the GNOME Sound Preferences.  I couldn't find a way to manipulate
the application streams (no right-click etc).   At this point I'm clueless :(

Is there an easy way to achieve this by using the default Fedora-12 sound-
system setup (without introducing Jack etc)?

Thanks!

Regards,
Jorge