Tex and F13 - help please

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Sun May 30 23:07:18 UTC 2010

On 05/30/2010 06:29 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> Genes MailLists wrote:
>>
>>>  I see that F13 still has texlive 2007 which is too old for me to use
>>> and collaborate with my colleagues.
>>
>> As a matter of interest, what do you need that is not in TeXlive 2007?
>
> My guess is that there was a change in syntax,
> not necessarilly a change in function.
> Another possibility is that his colleagues use
> software that does an explicit version test.
> Yet another possibility is that his colleagues are doing
> explicit version tests and he is tired of hearing about it.

  The biggest change is the inclusion of biblatex in base release of
texlive 2009 - the older stuff like natbib - worked differently in
different versions - and was troublesome if you needed to make any
changes at all. (biblatex is really nice too ;-)

  There are also font improvements (which are used for internal
publications).

   Typical prob was send a doc to collaborator and they get errors when
compiling it using newer texlive when it worked fine for me in the older
one - i got tired of fighting ... so I installed the same one everyone
else has been using for some time. And vice versa - coz of missing stuff
like biblatex.

    tlmgr is also very easy to use to keep it updated.

    I was rather hoping that something newer would be included in f13
but it is now slated for f14.

    I dont have a deep desire to hand install things - but texlive is
dead simple - download the iso which has everything on it - install.
run tlmgr once in a while to get updates. I rather like the simplicity
of getting the whole thing in one shot.

  Thanks .. I'll keep using tlmgr ... for now.