F13 installation: successful with small problem and larger one.

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun May 30 23:20:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 06:05:33PM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 17:31:47 -0400
> fred smith wrote:
>
> > I'm stumped, anyone got any sage adivce for me?

Tom:

Yes, disabling selinux removes the problem.

I had looked at the selinux labeling and thought it looked OK, but
apparently not.

So some googling turns up this page:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html/Security-Enhanced_Linux/sect-Security-Enhanced_Linux-Maintaining_SELinux_Labels_-Checking_the_Default_SELinux_Context.html

which tells me EXACTLY how to fix it. To verify the problem:

	matchpathcon -V /home

showed the incorrect context, and said what it should be (sorry, I didn't
capture it and now it's gone--I think it was file_t, but should have
been home_root_t.)

then /sbin/restorecon -v /home sets it to the right value, after which
rerunning the matchpathcon -V command shows it is correct.

a quick reboot and ssh to the system and voila! Problem solved.

Thanks, Tom, for pointing me in the right direction.

Now, does anyone know if/how I can enable encryption on my disk partitions
without havinig to use LVM?

Thanks again, everyone!