where does Network-Manager store its VPN settings?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon May 31 03:05:55 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 10:19:15PM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 19:09:35 -0700 (PDT)
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
> > Check for a . file?
>
> Yea, if they are somewhere in home directory you might try something
> like this:
>
> cd ~/
> touch timestamp
> <go run NM and make a minor change to some VPN definition>
> find . -newer timestamp
>
> Or you could even try it on the whole filesystem, but
> the find might take a while :-).
> --

Ah-HA!

it keeps the stuff under ~/.gconf/system/networking/connections, in a
series of subdirectories with config files named %gconf.xml. several
subdirectories (and %gconf.xml files) per vpn connection.

While I'm sure there's value in making everything configurable via
a pile of xml files, I sometimes long for the days of flat .rc files.
Things were so much easier to find and tweak in those days.

Thanks for the hint on using find!

Fred
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked