Correct instructions for installing NVidia proprietary driver on Fedora 13?

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Mon May 31 08:40:04 UTC 2010

> > > Yes.  Did a clean install from the DVD, entirely wiped out my old Fedora
12
> > > install.

> > > yum list | grep -i akmod:
> > > akmod-nvidia.x86_64                        1:195.36.24-1.fc13.5
> > > @rpmfusion-nonfree
> > > akmods.noarch                              0.3.6-3.fc12
> > > @rpmfusion-free
> > >
> > > I used akmod on Fedora 12, and it always worked perfectly for me.  In
fact,
> > > everything with the proprietary nVidia driver worked perfectly.
> > >
> > > Steven P. Ulrick
> > >
> > Wow dude... I am really not sure what is going on.
> >
> >  From what I hear all people have to do is make sure rpmfusion is in
> > repo and yum update
> >
> > This is the only thread were it has failed like this
> >

> > I guess the only thing left to try is not do it through yum but
> > add/remove software
> >
> > It should not make a bit of difference, but you may want to remove the
> > driver go back to nouveau and try the proprietary driver through
> > add/remove software, as well as the kmod for the kernel version.
> > Then lower protection (selinix) then rdblacklist=nouveau on kernel lines
> > in grub.conf
>
> Agreed, it SHOULDN'T make a difference.  But I'll give it a shot...
> 1. "Applications | System | Software Management" (kpackagekit)
> 2. Search for "kmod-nvidia"
> 3. Select "akmod-nvidia" & "kmod-nvidia"
> 4. Install the following packages:
> nvidia-settings
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
> nvidia-xconfig
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs
> kmod-nvidia-2.6.33.4-95.fc13.x86_64
> 5. "Apply"
>
> NOTHING was added to the end of the kernel line in grub.conf.  Also, here is
the
> contents of my xorg.conf file as it stands after I installed the above
packages:
>     # Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display
>
>      Section "Files"
>              ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
>      EndSection
>
>      Section "ServerFlags"
>              Option      "AIGLX" "on"
>      EndSection
>
>     Section "Device"
>             Identifier  "Videocard0"
>             Driver      "vesa"
>     EndSection
>
>     Section "Extensions"
>             Option      "Composite" "Enable"
>     EndSection
>
> So, I'm going to delete xorg.conf, add "rdblacklist=nouveau nomodeset" to the
> kernel line and reboot...
>
> I'll get back with you in a few minutes.

Well, here's the results: the screen still goes black (and, according to the
monitor itself) and goes into power save mode when it should be starting X.

For kicks I tried rebooting WITHOUT doing the initramfs/dracut stuff.  Things did
not go any different than they do when I actually follow the correct
instructions.

One interesting observation: I am doing "rdblacklist=nouveau" and I do not even
seem to have the "nouveau" driver running?  my xorg.conf says "Driver "vesa""
Perhaps retrying AFTER WORK, and doing "rdblacklist=vesa"?

Anyway, I NEED to get to work.

Steven P. Ulrick