F13: Delay in screen refresh

Marco Guazzone marco.guazzone at gmail.com
Mon May 31 20:07:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Marco Guazzone
<marco.guazzone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:
>> On 05/31/2010 09:58 AM, Marco Guazzone wrote:
>>>
>>> Here below is the information you have asked
>>>
>>> But before you dig into it I want to say that it seem a problem of the
>>> OpenBox window manager.
>>> I say so since I've tried to use GNOME and apparently the problem
>>> seems to be disappeared (for instance under ViM there is no delay in
>>> showing characters under the cursor).
>>
>>  Ahah ... yes indeed sounds like openbox is busted for some reason ...
>> good catch.
>>
>>  I found no obvious issues with mem pressure etc ... file a bug def ...
>> I know nothing of openbox (honestly had not even heard of it till this
>> email!)
>>
> :)
>
> It's a light-weight window manager and you can try It with LXDE Fedora
> spin: http://spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde/
>

>>  Good luck.
>>
>>  Glad you found the source of the problem ... and can use gnome as a
>> work around.

I speak too quickly! :(

The problem appears also under GNOME.
I've tried with xterm, ViM, and OpenOffice.
For instance, with oowriter the "latency" problem happens during
tooltip drawing (e.g., go to File -> Recent Documents and then move
the mouse up and down along the list of open documents slow enough
(but not too slow) in order to let the tooltipo appears; in this case,
I can note a delay which make appear an empty cyan rectangle and after
a few the tooltip text)

:(((

Cheers,

-- Marco