netinst images: What's the point?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon May 31 21:52:24 UTC 2010

Ok, I think I know what the point is, but there is little
documentation for these specific files and I can't figure out how to
get them to work correctly.

The netinst image seems to be the same as the boot.iso but with
installer.img added to it, which is exactly what I'm looking for,
except for the fact it doesn't work.

If I boot (on a USB flash drive) the netinst image everything works
until it looks for the repo files which I assumed it would try to find
online or at least ask me where to find them, but it doesn't.

If I boot the netinst image with "askmethod" and then specify a HTTP
mirror then it works except that it tries to re-download install.img
which is already on the flash drive.

So the question in my subject remains: What's the point of the netinst
image if it doesn't seem to work?

Richard