cannot boot after F12 to F14 upgrade

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 04:38:36 UTC 2010

I've had F12 installed on Dell Latitude D820 as a part of multi distro
system.  Today, just for curiosity sake, I've tried to upgrade it
directly to F14 (still in beta until tomorrow) using PreUpgrade utility.

After upgrade completed and reported successful, the system stalls at
boot. It shows the boot progressing blue/white bars as normal, reaches
the end (the bar gets all white), displays F14 and freezes at this point.

Pressing Ctl-Alt-Del displays list of process being stopped preparing to
reboot as usual. To me it looks like X for some reason cannot start (?).

I tried to boot to previous kernel - the same story.  I looked at Fedora
boot directory from withing Ubuntu - did not find any special.

Any suggestions, please?  I have NVIDIA graphic card on board.