problem with fc 13 and hplip

Barry txscope at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 2 10:42:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 09:30 +0000, "Tim Waugh" <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 14:25 -0400, Barry wrote:
> > Yes, the Laserjet, and I've always used the postscript drivers, several
> > machines, different platforms. But I just tried the PCL3 driver and it
> > too is weird. I printed a test page with it that came out with all the
> > graphics. I was able to print one web page, but not another -- however,
> > this time I got an error that said it was an empty file.
>
> What device URI are you using on the guest?  It's something like
> socket://{IP-addr-of-printer}:9000/ I expect..?  i.e. can we verify that
> it really is talking directly to the printer, and not to e.g. the host's
> queue.

The device uri is file:///dev/null

I'm sure I didn't write that it, but am just using it as a discovered
printer. The printer is attached to another machine. The print dialogue
window from Firefox shows the correct host for the printer. When I tried
attaching the printer to the machine hosting the vm, it showed up under
that machine's name.

> Try eliminating HPLIP from the equation altogether to see if the problem
> still happens: use another driver entirely (e.g. gutenprint, or a driver
> listed under manufacturer 'Generic') and make sure you are not using the
> 'hp' backend.

But Chrome can print. So can other programs. Makes me wonder if it's not
FF specific.

I have another vm with the RH 6 beta on it. Later, I'll set up printing
on that and try that.

> Tim.
> */

Barry