Curious symlink problem with Apache -- FC12

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 3 16:10:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 02:15 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Typing correction, the triple of permissions should have been:
>
>   rwx & r-- & r--
>
> No eXecutables set.

Grr, sodding typos.  I'll try that again, third time's the charm...

For most files served out through Apache, there will be no executable
bit set for any of the permissions (owner, group, or other).

Typically, user bits:  rw-  (can read and write)
           group bits: ---  (usually unimportant)
           other bits: r--  (can only read files)

[tim at computer personal]$ ls -l /var/www/html/homepage.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 tim tim 3379 2008-07-27 22:17 /var/www/html/homepage.html

If you were playing with Apache's XbitHack option, then the group
permissions are paid attention to.

See:  http://localhost/manual/mod/mod_include.html#xbithack

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r