f14 gnome unusable

Brian Ericson bericson at ptc.com
Wed Nov 3 18:42:03 UTC 2010

Just upgraded to f14.

The upgrade itself was smooth (thanks!), but Gnome's (UI) performance
has completely and utterly tanked.  If I open a terminal and a second
tab in the terminal, switching between tabs takes upwards of 4 seconds.
Same thing with FireFox tabs (Chrome/Chrome tabs are fine, though).  The
blue highlighting of Gnome menus is incapable of following even a
slow-moving mouse, alt-tab takes forever, and repainting minimized
windows is awful.

Basically, I got better GUI performance out of f13 with all my CPUs and
drives pegged than I'm getting now on an idle system.

Interestingly, KDE isn't impacted at all by any of this and even Gnome
apps (like terminal) are snappy. I even went so far as to create a new
user to see if some f13 Gnome configuration is the culprit, but the new
user has exactly the same issues.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Anyone know what to do to fix it?