F12 -> F14 (via preupgrade), not so smooth

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Nov 3 18:52:05 UTC 2010

Last night, after I successfully upgraded my F13 test desktop from
F13->F14 w/preupgrade, I started the same operation on my F12 laptop.

The results were not so good.

X86_64, Asus S96J laptop, w/ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 video card,
IPW3945, 2GB RAM, 350GB disk.

1) I had recently installed WICD (from ATRpms, so shoot me) because it
worked better for me than NetworkManager under F12.  Under F14, it fails
to start properly (yes, its the fc14 version now).  So, I disabled it
and re-enabled NetworkManager.  I have networking back for now.

2) X11 no longer starts up.  I'm using the radeon driver for my ATI
Technologies Inc M56P [Radeon Mobility X1600].  It was working just fine
(as fine can be with the radeon driver), but now it dies with a seg
fault with only 3 frames on the stack.  I have re-configured to run the
VESA driver, but, I miss my 1200x800 native resolution.  VESA can only
do 1024x768.  I can attach my (used to be working) xorg.conf for anyone
interested, but it fails in exactly the same way if I delete it as well.
 I can try again and send along an Xorg.0.log if it will help.

2a) VESA has lots of problems returning to a proper video mode.  If I
run dosbox in full-screen mode, when it returns to X11, the resolution
is less than stellar.  Its the same size, but it seems like every other
pixel is missing.  Heck, All I have to do is switch to a diferent
virtual console, and X11 is hosed when I return to it.  Even the color
pallette seems to be changed.  I have to logout and restart the X server
to get it back.

3)  VMWare-Server won't compile.  Seems it can't find the kernel
headers.  Its looking in /usr/src/linux/include, but that directory
seems to be missing.  (I built it successfully a number of times under
F12.)  I have kernel, kernel-devel, and kernel-headers installed.  That
used to be enough for VMWare-server.

4)  There are a number of python errors during bootup.  They are not in
DMESG.

5)  the console screen during bootup contains lines starting with [    [
   mmm.nnnn ] messages that were not visible on F12.  It makes looking
at the [OK] and [Failed] service messges difficult.

I'm sure I've missed something else (I haven't tested suspend/hibernate
yet), but for now, this is what I've noticed.

Imagine my surprise at No Network and No Graphics after completion of
preupgrade.  Not a lot of fun.

I still have an F11 server that I need to upgrade, but not until I get
my laptop's problems sorted out.

And, for those of you who are still reading, yes, I have read both the
F13 and F14 release notes, but nothing stands out (to me) that I may
have missed.

Suggestions welcome.

--
Kevin J. Cummings