f14 gnome unusable

stan gryt2 at q.com
Wed Nov 3 19:28:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 13:42:03 -0500
Brian Ericson <bericson at ptc.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else encountered this?  Anyone know what to do to fix it?

When I fresh installed F14, there were delays such as you mention on
the gui with Gnome.  I checked top and iotop to see what was holding
up the works.  And it turned out there were background jobs running.
Most of those will complete if you give them an overnight, and you
should only hit problems when they are updating after that.

I changed the cron jobs so they would always defer to the gui, and
things are OK now.  Used ionice as it seemed to be mostly io causing the
problem.