F13 -> f14 via preupgrade: my workaround

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Wed Nov 3 21:13:11 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Earlier today I tried upgrading my F13 system to F14 with preupgrade, but
ran into the dreaded "Unable to read package metadata... cannot retrieve
repository metadata..." error, which I've repeatedly encountered with
preupdgrade previously.

I tried moving /var/cache/yum to a different drive with more space but that
didn't work. Finally, I moved the entire /var directory from a separate
partition to the root partition, changing fstab accordingly, rebooting, and
then finally the upgrade proceeded as it should.

Don't know what the deal is with preupgrade, but in terms of paths and
partitions etc it is hardly bulletproof.

FWIW,
Colin

-----
  Colin Brace