F12 -> F14 (via preupgrade), not so smooth

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Nov 3 22:39:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 14:52:05 -0400
"Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> Last night, after I successfully upgraded my F13 test desktop from
> F13->F14 w/preupgrade, I started the same operation on my F12 laptop.
>
> The results were not so good.
>
> X86_64, Asus S96J laptop, w/ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 video card,
> IPW3945, 2GB RAM, 350GB disk.

...snip...

> 2) X11 no longer starts up.  I'm using the radeon driver for my ATI
> Technologies Inc M56P [Radeon Mobility X1600].  It was working just
> fine (as fine can be with the radeon driver), but now it dies with a
> seg fault with only 3 frames on the stack.  I have re-configured to
> run the VESA driver, but, I miss my 1200x800 native resolution.  VESA
> can only do 1024x768.  I can attach my (used to be working) xorg.conf
> for anyone interested, but it fails in exactly the same way if I
> delete it as well. I can try again and send along an Xorg.0.log if it
> will help.

Sure, can you Send the Xorg.0.log attached to your reply to this?
also, you might try with No /etc/X11/xorg.conf at all, and let the
driver autodetect things.

...snip...

> 3)  VMWare-Server won't compile.  Seems it can't find the kernel
> headers.  Its looking in /usr/src/linux/include, but that directory
> seems to be missing.  (I built it successfully a number of times under
> F12.)  I have kernel, kernel-devel, and kernel-headers installed.
> That used to be enough for VMWare-server.

kernel-devel should be it, but you must be running the exact same
version of the kernel as your kernel-devel is for it to work. So:

yum update
reboot
yum install kernel-devel

You may also be using the PAE kernel, which means you want
kernel-PAE-devel instead of kernel-devel.

> 4)  There are a number of python errors during bootup.  They are not
> in DMESG.

Try /var/log/boot.log or /var/log/messages.

> 5)  the console screen during bootup contains lines starting with
> [    [ mmm.nnnn ] messages that were not visible on F12.  It makes
> looking at the [OK] and [Failed] service messges difficult.

Those are timestamps since boot. They can be very usefull to see when a
message was logged so you know it's old, etc.

kevin