f14 gnome unusable

Brian Ericson bericson at ptc.com
Wed Nov 3 23:19:27 UTC 2010

To test that, I compared my W510 against a friend's W500 (which had also
been upgraded).  We started "top" and then selected
"System->Preferences" and using the down-arrow key to cycle through the
menu options.  "top" showed XOrg topping my CPU at up to 99%, his CPU
maybe hit 10% at one point.  You are correct in that when Gnome is doing
whatever-it-is-that-is-slow, XOrg is taking up significantly more CPU
than it does on a normal system.

The W510 has an nVidia Quadro FX 880M, which is "fairly" new and I've
been using the nvidia drivers (at the native resolution of 1920x1080).
Switching to nouveau (which chose 1024x768) resulted in normal behavior
(everything became snappy again).

So, it appears there's something "up" with nVidia/Gnome/XOrg. :(

I wonder if anyone else using gnome + nvidia on a machine with an 880M
would also experience the same annoying. behavior...

Thoughts?