root rpm package list?

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 00:39:31 UTC 2010

On 11/03/2010 05:02 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I know the rpm database has enough info to eventually deduce this,
> but is there a simple to use tool that can answer the question:
>
> What rpms are installed on my system that no other rpm
> depends on?
>
> In other words, what "root" rpms do I have in my dependency
> forest?
>
> Just seems like that would be a nice list of packages to
> ask about on my fedora 13 system to compare to my fedora 14
> install on a separate partition.
Well yum deplist  will produce the entire forest
which you have to then eyeball and find packages with
no deplist.

Another way to do it is

for pkg in `rpm -qa`; do
deplist=`rpm -qR $pkg 2>/dev/null`
[ "x$deplist" = "x" ] && echo Root pkg:  $pkg
done

The only root  or leaf packages listed from the above script:

Root pkg: gpg-pubkey-a3780952-4affed06
Root pkg: gpg-pubkey-98ab5139-4bf2d0b0
Root pkg: gpg-pubkey-2425b284-4affedb7
Root pkg: gpg-pubkey-e8e40fde-4b563cdc