I have lost the ability to save music in MP3 format

Paul Otheim coriolis220 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 02:25:15 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have been out of the loop with the latest news on Fedora and open source
for sometime. Maybe a month ago, I lost the ability to create MP3's.
I though initially it was just affecting Rhythmbox but Sound Juicer also can
no longer save music in an MP3 format. I did some light
searching via google but have yet to find a solution. I scanned the archives
for the last few months but if anyone else is having this issue
then I have missed it. It was working one day then it wasn't , I have the
gstreamer plugins ugly and bad, ffmpeg. Anyway it was working and I
have not removed any packages, so I am not sure what happened.

On a free software note, aside from rockbox, which doesn't support my music
player, does anyone know of another similar alternative that works across
a larger hardware base. I am not particularly fond of mp3's and would prefer
to just rip in ogg format anyway, assuming I could get my player to play
them of course.

Thanks,

Paul

--
Glimmers on the horizon, shining bright and true
Oh my oh my have I got a story for you