I have lost the ability to save music in MP3 format

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Nov 4 03:46:30 UTC 2010

> On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 22:25:15 -0400
> Paul Otheim <coriolis220 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been out of the loop with the latest news on Fedora and open
> source for sometime. Maybe a month ago, I lost the ability to create
> MP3's. I though initially it was just affecting Rhythmbox but Sound
> Juicer also can no longer save music in an MP3 format. I did some
> light searching via google but have yet to find a solution. I scanned
> the archives for the last few months but if anyone else is having
> this issue then I have missed it. It was working one day then it
> wasn't , I have the gstreamer plugins ugly and bad, ffmpeg. Anyway it
> was working and I have not removed any packages, so I am not sure
> what happened.

You're right, this is strange.  It sounds like it could be a
permissions problem of some sort.  The packages are there, they just
can't be accessed because something has changed the access rights.

Does sox or audacity work for converting to mp3?

Do you have lame and libmad installed?  These are other libraries
that allow encoding and playing mp3s.  I can't think about how they
could be the cause of your problem, just suggest them as a wild
possibility.