Can't mount USB drive - new thread this time

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Nov 4 04:04:35 UTC 2010

> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 21:23:13 -0400
> "Jason E. High" <jason.high at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I insert a USB drive in F14, it shows up in the Places listing
> but a window pops up that says 'Can't mount drive. Not Authorized.'

Sounds like a permissions problem.  Have you got SELinux enabled?  If
you fire up SELinux troubleshooter, does it show any denials related
to this?

This is a command line again, but can you see anything additional
in /var/log/messages when it doesn't work.

less /var/log/messages
with superuser privileges, sudo or su or logged in as root.  q to quit.

> As a side note, I've been using Linux since Redhat 5.2.  I switched to
> Ubuntu a few years ago for precisely this reason: the little things
> just "worked."  I really like Fedora and would really like to use it,
> but I want an operating system that I can play with if I want to, not
> an operating system that forces me to a command line every ten minutes
> because something simple didn't work.  </rant>

It might be that Fedora isn't the OS for you.  Mostly it meets your
requirement of things just working, but your comment made me think
about my experience, and, you're right.  There have been little things
that needed tweaking in order to make them right.

I'm not very familiar with Macs, but one of the things I hear people
say, and read them writing, is that it does meet your criteria.  Maybe
that's your promised land. ;-)