f14 gnome unusable

Mark Eggers mdeggers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 04:06:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 18:19:27 -0500, Brian Ericson wrote:

> To test that, I compared my W510 against a friend's W500 (which had also
> been upgraded).  We started "top" and then selected
> "System->Preferences" and using the down-arrow key to cycle through the
> menu options.  "top" showed XOrg topping my CPU at up to 99%, his CPU
> maybe hit 10% at one point.  You are correct in that when Gnome is doing
> whatever-it-is-that-is-slow, XOrg is taking up significantly more CPU
> than it does on a normal system.
>
> The W510 has an nVidia Quadro FX 880M, which is "fairly" new and I've
> been using the nvidia drivers (at the native resolution of 1920x1080).
> Switching to nouveau (which chose 1024x768) resulted in normal behavior
> (everything became snappy again).
>
> So, it appears there's something "up" with nVidia/Gnome/XOrg. :(
>
> I wonder if anyone else using gnome + nvidia on a machine with an 880M
> would also experience the same annoying. behavior...

I have an older card (OK, really old) 7600GS that I overclock in order to
get reasonable performance. A few things that I've noted:

Upgrading to the latest drivers (260.19.12) causes all sorts of problems.
Games compiled with OpenGL will fault (segmentation fault), and I cannot
overclock with that version of the driver. Running 256.53 solves those
problems (can overclock, game does not segfault).

I've noticed about a 5 percent performance loss via glxgears in going
from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14. I've not done the extensive graphics test
(specviewperf), but performance does "feel" slower.

I've also noticed some performance issues when running a GtK application
such as pan under WindowMaker. When I switch virtual desktops away from
the one containing pan and then back, I see a momentary spike in CPU and
a pause while the window refreshes.

I haven't done a lot of work in KDE yet, so I don't know what (if any)
performance impact exists.

I'm running Samsung SyncMaster at 1680x1050x24 with 96x96 resolution. The
monitor is attached via a digital cable.

Looks like there is a performance regression, although nothing like what
you're experiencing. I also see that Xorg is using more memory than I
remember it using in Fedora 13.

What version of the NVidia driver are you using?

. . . . just my two cents

/mde/