I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 05:43:48 UTC 2010

2010/11/3 Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com>

> Hi there,
>
> I started using Linux back in ´99 or thereabouts. After a few years
> and switching between several distros (including Caldera OpenLinux,
> SuSE, and Sun Java Desktop System R2) I learned a few things:
>
> 1. That I liked Gnome more than KDE
> 2. That I hated Novell and its collaboration with Microsoft, along
> with its endorsement and advocacy for "Mono" (a project always playing
> catch-up with Microsoft´s .Net platform and as a side effect stealing
> mindshare from Java).
> 3. That I prefer a company that doesn´t work against Java developers.
>
> So, I ended up running Fedora. First a Fedora derivative (Blag) and
> then Fedora 11. Then 12, and then 13. So far so good.
>
> Now, having said that, I didn´t like the hysteria surrounding
> OpenOffice.org, and I think Oracle will do an OK job advancing the
> open source project going forward.
>
> I also don´t trust Novell a single bit, and I think sooner rather than
> later, they´ll end up polluting "LibreOffice" with Mono. I don´t want
> that.
>
> So, here I am, a happy Fedora user, but who´d like to continue using
> OpenOffice.org. What chance is there (if any) of an end user like me
> of influencing Fedora direction to keep supporting OpenOffice.org ?.
> Who makes those kind of decisions? Has Fedora or RedHat made any
> statement wrt OO.o going forward?.
>
> Thanks
> FC
> --

I believe this is not very important, I mean, everyone knows all new
Linux distros will come with LibreOffice inside of them instead of
OpenOffice

But no matter if distros remove that suite of their repositories you'll
still be able
to download it from it's official webpage.

--
<-Manuel Escudero->
Linux User #509052
@GWave: jmlevick at googlewave.com
@Blogger: http://www.blogxenode.tk/ (Xenode Systems Blog)
PGP/GnuPG: DAE3 82E9 D68E 7AE4 ED31  1F8F 4AF4 D00C 50E7 ABC6