I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 05:51:50 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 11:01 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Now, having said that, I didn´t like the hysteria surrounding
> OpenOffice.org, and I think Oracle will do an OK job advancing the
> open source project going forward.
>
> I also don´t trust Novell a single bit, and I think sooner rather than
> later, they´ll end up polluting "LibreOffice" with Mono. I don´t want
> that.

Openoffice.org had quite a bit of development done by Novell and didn't
introduce Mono there and I don't expect to do any differently with
LibreOffice either.  LibreOffice is just C++ and Java and it appears
much of the Java code will be replaced with native code over time.
Many mainstream distributions with the exception of Fedora were actually
using Go-oo under the Openoffice.org name so it's not a big change for
them either.

> So, here I am, a happy Fedora user, but who´d like to continue using
> OpenOffice.org. What chance is there (if any) of an end user like me
> of influencing Fedora direction to keep supporting OpenOffice.org ?.
> Who makes those kind of decisions? Has Fedora or RedHat made any
> statement wrt OO.o going forward?.

Rawhide, Fedora's development branch has already shifted to LibreOffice
and Fedora 15 will include LibreOffice by default.  The Red Hat
maintainer is part of the technical steering committee for LibreOffice
as well.

Rahul