I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Thu Nov 4 08:50:00 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 04.11.2010, 02:31 -0300 schrieb Fernando Cassia:
> I also don´t trust Novell a single bit, and I think sooner rather than
> later, they´ll end up polluting "LibreOffice" with Mono. I don´t want
> that.

(Unfortunately from my perspective) Your preferred Desktop Gnome has to
bear a bigger risk regarding Mono  :-)

> So, here I am, a happy Fedora user, but who´d like to continue using
> OpenOffice.org. What chance is there (if any) of an end user like me
> of influencing Fedora direction to keep supporting OpenOffice.org ?.
> Who makes those kind of decisions? Has Fedora or RedHat made any
> statement wrt OO.o going forward?.

The majority decided for LibreOffice, so it will replace OpenOffice
sooner or later.

Back in the older days I had to use OpenOffice as distributed by
OpenOffice.org to use an urgendly needed feature of a new version. It is
very easy to use the Fedora integration scripts with an original
OpenOffice (at least it used to be so, for some years I had no need to
do so anymore). Just install the OO.org version on top or the Fedora
version and correct some path entries in the /usr/bin OO files. So it is
really your individual choice.

Peter