Problems exporting directories from Fedora 8

Doll, Margaret Ann margaret_doll at brown.edu
Thu Nov 4 15:08:25 UTC 2010

I had to install Fedora 8 on a system because its version of glibc was
necessary for some third party software that we needed to use.

I am trying to export some of the directories from the Fedora system, so
that I can get the files backed up.

My server to which I am trying to export the files is a RedHat system which
already has RedHat and Umbuntu directories mounted on it.  So the problem is
not with the RedHat system.

Fedora 8 no longer has portmap but uses rpcbind instead.  The error message
that I get when rpcbind is started up implies that I should start rpcbind as
"rpcbind -w".  I changed the /etc/init.d/rpcbind file to do this.
Then I get an error message saying that the /var/...rpcbind.file has the
wrong permissions.  I changed the permissions to rwxrw rw.  I still get the
permissions problem.

On the server, the "mount  filesystem" gives me no error message, but
nothing is mounted.

How does one get Fedora 8 to export directories?

Thanks