I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Nov 4 17:45:50 UTC 2010

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:26:48 -0400
"Jason E. High" <jason.high at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that both should be available.  I don't see any reason not to
> have OpenOffice available in the repos, even if FC wants to make
> LibreOffice the default.

There's a number of reasons not to do that:

* We have limited number of maintainers. Maintaining the openoffice
  stack is a BIG job. It's a large package/packages.

* Openoffice currently is the 3rd largest package in the buildsystem,
  taking up around 530GB of space that needs to be managed and backed
  up and kept track of in various databases and compose scripts.

* Fedora is all about community, and the Openoffice community (very
  importantly including the Fedora Openoffice maintainer(s) has
  commited to working with Libreoffice.

So, I don't see any compelling reason to keep both around. It's a great
deal more maint for not much work.

I'm not sure I understand why people don't want to move to LibreOffice.
Could folks expand on why they don't want to more?

kevin