I want OO.o support, not Go-OO from Novell - Any statement from Fedora or RedHat?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 17:49:17 UTC 2010

On Thursday, November 04, 2010 17:08:09 Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 11/04/2010 01:50 AM, Peter Boy wrote:
> > Just install the OO.org version on top or the Fedora
> > version and correct some path entries in the /usr/bin OO files. So it is
> > really your individual choice.
>
> The point isn't that you can make the OO.org version work in Fedora but
> that you shouldn't have to.  Just because they decided to make
> LiberOffice the default is no reason to remove OpenOffice from the
> repos.  You're supposed to have a choice.

Well, in principle no problem exists there, actually. If you want OO in Fedora
in the future, feel free to step up and become its maintainer --- package it
for Fedora, and put it in the repos. Then the whole Fedora community will have
the choice you talk about.

Just make sure to remove all patent-encumbered code out of it before you
package it, and keep yourself informed about any new patents that might be
violated in future OO. Simple enough, right? :-)

Oh, and by the way, people who are doing that job right now are probably going
to be busy doing the same for LO, so I guess they won't be too willing to do
the same job twice. But if you take over the workload for OO, I don't see any
problem at all... ;-)

Fedora is all about choice, after all! And a bit of community work... :-D

HTH, :-)
Marko