Problems exporting directories from Fedora 8

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Nov 4 18:29:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 11:08:25 -0400
"Doll, Margaret Ann" <margaret_doll at brown.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to export some of the directories from the Fedora system,
> so that I can get the files backed up.

I think you mean that these are separate systems rather than
partitions, so I probably can't help much with this as I don't have a
network, so don't deal with network issues.  But since I see you've
posted this for the second time, I'll try to give you something.

> My server to which I am trying to export the files is a RedHat system
> which already has RedHat and Umbuntu directories mounted on it.  So
> the problem is not with the RedHat system.

Here you use directories, above you implied systems.  For directories,
just put entries in fstab using the UUID (blkid) so they are mounted at
boot.  Create mount points to use in fstab in /mnt.

> Fedora 8 no longer has portmap but uses rpcbind instead.  The error
> message that I get when rpcbind is started up implies that I should
> start rpcbind as "rpcbind -w".  I changed the /etc/init.d/rpcbind
> file to do this. Then I get an error message saying that
> the /var/...rpcbind.file has the wrong permissions.  I changed the
> permissions to rwxrw rw.  I still get the permissions problem.

If the *directory* permissions to the file are not executable, you will
not be able to read the contents, and thus the file will be unavailable
to you.

> On the server, the "mount  filesystem" gives me no error message, but
> nothing is mounted.

Do you see anything in /var/log/messages on the server?  Have you tried
the -v option?

> How does one get Fedora 8 to export directories?

I think an alternative to the method you are using would be to use nfs,
but that is conjecture on my part.  Maybe you would have better luck
with a different technique.

In your situation, I would do a lot of web searching.  :-)