Problems exporting directories from Fedora 8

Doll, Margaret Ann margaret_doll at brown.edu
Thu Nov 4 18:43:40 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:29 PM, stan <gryt2 at q.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 11:08:25 -0400
> "Doll, Margaret Ann" <margaret_doll at brown.edu> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to export some of the directories from the Fedora system,
> > so that I can get the files backed up.
>
> I think you mean that these are separate systems rather than
> partitions, so I probably can't help much with this as I don't have a
> network, so don't deal with network issues.  But since I see you've
> posted this for the second time, I'll try to give you something.
>

> > My server to which I am trying to export the files is a RedHat system
> > which already has RedHat and Umbuntu directories mounted on it.  So
> > the problem is not with the RedHat system.
>
> Here you use directories, above you implied systems.  For directories,
> just put entries in fstab using the UUID (blkid) so they are mounted at
> boot.  Create mount points to use in fstab in /mnt.

I have the correct entries in /etc/exports on the Fedora system and
corresponding entries in /etc/fstab on the RedHat system.  As I said I have
successfully mounted directories to the RedHat system from a couple of other
systems.

> > Fedora 8 no longer has portmap but uses rpcbind instead.  The error
> > message that I get when rpcbind is started up implies that I should
> > start rpcbind as "rpcbind -w".  I changed the /etc/init.d/rpcbind
> > file to do this. Then I get an error message saying that
> > the /var/...rpcbind.file has the wrong permissions.  I changed the
> > permissions to rwxrw rw.  I still get the permissions problem.
>
> If the *directory* permissions to the file are not executable, you will
> not be able to read the contents, and thus the file will be unavailable
> to you.

I made a mistake in the line that I typed above.  Everyone could read and
execute the files.  The files should have been available to everyone and
every process.

> > On the server, the "mount  filesystem" gives me no error message, but
> > nothing is mounted.
>
> Do you see anything in /var/log/messages on the server?  Have you tried
> the -v option?

There are no error messages on the RedHat system.

> > How does one get Fedora 8 to export directories?
>
> I think an alternative to the method you are using would be to use nfs,
> but that is conjecture on my part.  Maybe you would have better luck
> with a different technique.

I am using nfs.

> In your situation, I would do a lot of web searching.  :-)

The web searches all report the problems I am having, but I have found no
solutions.

Thanks for your remarks.